Project Management & Designing
Project management is the discipline of planning, organizing, motivating, and controlling resources to achieve specific goals. A project is a temporary endeavour with a defined beginning and end (usually time-constrained, and often constrained by funding or deliverables), undertaken to meet unique goals and objectives, typically to bring about beneficial change or added value. Most companies today are under pressure. Budgets are cut, resources reduced, timescales ever more challenging, yet still productivity increases are demanded. Today businesses cannot always provide the focus and time to deliver projects effectively, to find the right expertise at the right stage of a project, and as a result, suffer additional costs on projects through poor conception, planning, procurement and execution.
The primary challenge of project management is to achieve all of the project goals and objectives while honouring the preconceived constraints. At Shiva Consultancy, we ensure that by utilising an outside organisation for project management, all our clients' project objectives are met in full.
The use of project management support techniques gives better initial planning and assessment of risks. It provides a greater chance of forecasting problem areas while there is still time to take corrective action and it allows flexibility for alternative modes of operation. The successful project management service offered by Shiva Consultancy concentrates on the three prime issues of time, cost and quality, ensuring a coherent structure for managing all three.
PROJECT MANAGEMENT PHILOSOPHY
The principles behind the successful delivery of on-time projects embrace the following fundamental aspects:
- Providing expert advice from day one
- Setting clear objectives and a defined scope
- Supplying crucial resources where and when required
- Using a structured process for managing risk
- The tight control of budgets
- Management of communications and supply chain relationships
- Deliver the project completed, on time, on budget as originally intended
- Performance measurement through key performance indicators
AS BUILT DATA CAPTURE
Over time, plant and equipment is often modified and the necessary changes to the site plans can be forgotten and left unchanged.
This can cause a problem for safety where plans do not reflect the changes made. Missing hazardous area classifications or revisions where new installations prevent a clear fire exit route from buildings obviously have major safety implications.
As built data capture is especially helpful with 'cut and carve' projects, allowing early identification of potential clashes and reducing re-work which can impact on both time and cost.
DETAILED DESIGN AND ENGINEERING
Our engineers are experienced in all aspects of engineering design and are experts in carrying detailed design engineering tasks.
Shiva Consultancy's multi disciplined team and innovative approach means that they will undertake a thorough study of your business need and deliver a detailed and well designed engineering solution.
TAILORED ENGINEERING DESIGN SERVICES
Shiva Consultancy's Engineering Design Team is tailored depending on each individual project scope and can provide a full or complementary service depending on your needs. The engineering design process is a multi-step process including the research, conceptualization, feasibility assessment, establishing design requirements, preliminary design, detailed design, production planning and tool design, and finally production. The sections to follow are not necessarily steps in the engineering design process, for some tasks are completed at the same time as other tasks.
Shiva Consultancy's detailed design service is available as part of their wider Project Management Service or as a standalone piece of work.
DOCUMENTATION AND DRAWING MANAGEMENT
With many industrial and manufacturing organisations reducing their engineering resource, something as simple as the documentation and drawing management can become confused and outdated very quickly.
Shiva Consultancy can provide a modern, professional offsite drawing and documentation management system to keep you in control of all changes and give you the rapid access to any information you may require. This specialist drawing management service offered by Shiva Consultancy, has a great deal of features and benefits which also allows you, the client, to spend more time developing your own organisation, leaving us to manage the peripheral systems.
- Engineering drawings describe how to consistently reproduce the design. Consistent reproduction is essential, since it forms the basis for product improvements and production efficiency.
- Engineering data proves that the product conforms to the original design goals. Proof of conformance is important to both internal stakeholders (marketing, accounting, production) and external groups (distributors, customers, service providers, regulatory agencies).
BENEFITS AND FEATURES OF Shiva Consultancy's DRAWING MANAGEMENT
- Create a seamless flow of up to date information
- Document identification through the use of a document numbering system. Maintain access to all historic data
- Take ownership for offsite storage of all original documentation (electronic and paper)
- Provide a generic numbering system
- Maintain uniformity of all drawing and document templates to provide consistency and a professional image to all documentation
- Provide instant access to information
- Document revision or other indication of a specific design iteration
- Dedicated contact for rapid retrieval
- Convert formats to AutoCAD industry standard
- Provide read-only onsite access with uncontrolled printing facility.
CONCEPT & FEED STUDIES - TYPICAL SERVICES
The initial Concept Stage and/or Front End Engineering Design of a project is the route by which we determine the viability of the project, review alternatives, define the scope and to develop the initial project cost estimates within agreed certainty limits (dependent on time and resource used).
It has been proven by many organisations (sometimes painfully!) that sufficient up front design or front end loading greatly enhances the prospect of project success. It is a false economy to save money at the design stage as these costs are considerably less than the cost of making changes, paying for the wrong plant and machinery, increased construction costs or ending up having to go back for more money to deliver the benefits expected.
Using a structured process, the involvement of proven engineers, past experience and industry norms, an initial view of the project size, merits and risks can be determined – at a cost which is low in relation to the overall value of the project but which has the greatest impact on the project's success and overall budget.
The results of the Concept Stage will be sufficient to enable the project benefits, risks and costs to be identified and lead to the project being stopped or continued to the Detailed Design phase to provide greater detail and more cost certainty. Shiva Consultancy usually encourage the involvement of elements of the Client's team to be included in the FEED phase to ensure external and independent technical expertise is supported and complemented by in-house knowledge, to form an integrated team that provides the strongest approach. Elements of the work carried out during this phase includes:
- The critical success criteria for the project
- A detailed responsibility matrices to show who is responsible for what
- Specifications of the major elements of the system, including safety etc
- The initial budget covering all phases of the project
- Management systems and specific project plans to be employed during project execution as well as the documented processes and communication procedures